In an era of social media it’s very important not to discount its counterparts of internet marketing, including email marketing. When it comes to email marketing, it’s very easy to get wrong and takes a lot of trial and error to get right.
However, considering now over 2.6 billion people worldwide have an email account, it would be a huge waste to not take advantage of the possibilities available. This article aims to give you a few solid tips to start you off.
Basically email marketing is the use of email to promote products and/or services. But a better definition of email marketing definition is the use of email to develop relationships with potential customers and/or clients. Email marketing is one segment of internet marketing, which encompasses online marketing via websites, social media, blogs, etc.
So now you know what it is, let’s get into those tips I mentioned before.
#1: Keep your emails mobile friendly. Having a mobile-friendly presence surrounding your whole business from website to emails is not only recommended but necessary.
This image from eMarketer.com clearly shows that not being mobile-friendly will cause you to lose subscribers.
Plus, you need to ensure that any call-to-action you have in your email (i.e. visiting the website via a link) works seamlessly on mobile.
The last thing you want is to miss out on a customer because your web pages take too long to load up on their phone and don’t work smoothly.
#2: A/B test your emails. Not sure what that means? Frederic Gonzalo explains in an article from his website:
Should you write a title such as “Exclusive Offer: 50% during a limited time” or perhaps “Deal of the century!” might suffice? […] The key thing here is to test things out to see how your audience reacts to the above A or B scenarios.
When using tools like MailChimp, you can decide to send two versions of an email to only 10% of your database, then see how users react, through open rates or click-through rates for example. Depending on the results after 24 hours, you can then send out the most impactful version to the remaining 90% of your database.
#3: Keep it short and to the point. No subscriber will read an entire essay on why they should do what you want – be brief and exact. Your readers will be grateful for it.
#4: Know who your target audience is. This will help you define your email layout, plan subject headings, time your distribution of emails, etc. Always maximise your content depending on who you aim to be reading it. You can’t please everyone, so aim well and please as many of the group you aim for.
#5: Make it personal. You’ll end up in the spam folder in no time if you’re just sending out sales messages and promoting yourself. Take the time to make anyone who opens your email feel like it’s a letter from a friend.
You take the time to plan emails and work on marketing your business, so make sure you get the most out of that time!
Latest posts by Hannah Ansley (see all)
- Google’s Mobile-First Indexing: What You Should Know - November 14, 2016
- Tips for Marketing on Facebook - November 6, 2016
- Monthly Marketing Round-Up – October 2016 - October 31, 2016